Palm Beach, the perfect destination for a Sydney Stay-cation
No longer the playground of the rich and famous, this Northern Sydney village can provide an ideal family holiday, less than 90 minutes-drive from the CBD.
Why take a family holiday in Palm Beach
- It is easy. There are not endless hours of travel, the relaxed atmosphere of the area can take away all the stresses of life within minutes of arrival.
- Whether you take a stroll up the beach or sit and have a coffee at one of the cafés reading a paper whilst the rest of your family plays in the surf.
- The children will love the choice of playing in the surf or swimming in the calmer waters of Pitwatter whilst forming treasured memories of a paradise so close to home.
Things to do with the kids
- Learn to surf. Manly surf school operates hour long surf lessons at ‘Kiddies corner’, a lesson with these guys will make sure that return visits are even more enjoyable.
- Climb up to the lighthouse. Palm Beach headland provides views up and down the cost as well as a national park track to Barrenjoey lighthouse. A great way to spend an early morning getting healthy with the kids.
- Kayaking on Pittwater. Hire a kayak and potter around with the kids on Pittwater, maybe drop a line in or watch the sea planes land right next to you.
- Take a ferry across to the Basin and picnic under the pine trees. Go early in the morning to ensure you spot a few of the resident wallabies.
- A lazy 9 holes. Palm Beach golf course is a public course that sits on the edge of Pittwater and affords some splendid views from the ’19th’ hole.
- Nothing. Just sit on the beach and build sandcastles, sometimes life is too hectic!
Which age groups should visit
Palm Beach is suitable for all ages – Tiny Tots (0-2), Small Children (3-5), Big Kids (6-8), Tweens (9-12), Teenagers (13+). All age groups will have plenty to do in Palm Beach, the phrase “something for everyone” really does apply here.
Tips and advice for visiting Palm Beach
If the kids just want to hang by the pool or beach let them, a Palm Beach family holiday is all about chilling and relaxing. You don’t have to hire a house right on the beach, there are plenty of great places just a street or two back that afford much better value. At Christmas time, book well in advance, it can get busy.Photo Credit: Flickr – Alex E. Proimos